Thursday, September 27, 2018

module 5: pianting picking paints a picture

Chloe Carr
Module #5

FULL HD PICTURES OF THE PAINTINGS CHOSEN




Maybe This Time It's The Angel Of Death from the Little Dancer series
     
        Artist: Jonathan Rogers
        Media: oil on canvas
        Year: 1990-2006

A) I think this artwork made a great impression on me for a number of reasons. For one, when I first saw it I thought the angel was something beautiful and nice in a place so gloom. After looking closely, I noticed there was a child cowering/hiding behind the corner like he's scared that the angel will see him. When I read the title I figured that the child is hiding from the angel because it represents Death.



  Shadow Road
        Artist: Gary Kyte
        Media: acrylic on canvas
        Year: n.d.

A) This artwork made an impact on me because I have never been able to look at a painting and feel like I hear it, if that makes sense. Ironically enough, I was looking at this painting in the museum and it felt like I was hearing nothing. Everything was silence and it felt like it was stemming from the painting itself, which I thought was magical.



Deliverance from the Visions of Faith series
        Artist: Jonathan Rogers
        Medium: oil on canvas
        Year: 2000

B) I feel a connection to this painting because of the meaning I found in it. I realize what I think of it could possibly be a reach but I can't seem to find any other meaning in it. When I look at this painting, I think about the story of the Devil and how he fell from Heaven. I look at this painting and think maybe he hadn't fallen, maybe he was given away. The angel seems to be leaving the hands of somebody much larger than it. I feel a connection to this painting because it looks like a combination of a world we do not see or that may not exist and the world we live in now.



Untitled

        Artist: Max Collins
        Medium: mixed media, wheat-pasted photo paper on wood
        Year: 1988

C) I would really like to know more about this painting because I am confused about what it might be. Originally looking at it, I figured it may be the twisted branches of a tree reaching up toward the sky, but after looking at it for some time, I thought maybe it could be veins; dark and black and scary and beautiful.



Group Self-Portrait #1 from the Group Self Portraits series
        Artist: Jonathan Rogers
        Medium: oil on canvas
        Year: 1998

B) I feel a connection with this painting because when I see this painting and relate it to the title, I think I understand it. To me, this painting is a self-portrait of not just one face of the artist, but the many different faces of the different people inside the same person. There is a normal-looking little boy in the center of the painting who could be the ultimate face of all the faces, which is why the rest of the scary-looking, raw, twisted-faced other faces are behind him. I feel a connection because I believe there are many different faces behind every face, and they're all scary in their own way.



Winter Nocturne
        Artist: Karl David Heerdt
        Medium: oil on board
        Year: 2007

C) I would really like to more about this painting because I was getting a different mood from it than the title suggested. Looking at this painting does not feel to me like winter, and it also doesn't feel like the setting is deep in the night. This looks to me like a gloomy, wet, humid day of Fall or Spring where the sky turns almost scary but pretty at the same time. I would really like to understand the painting through what the artist intended it to be seen.

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree that the painting "Maybe This Time It's The Angel Of Death" from the Little Dancer series also makes quite the impression on me. The deep reds and the bright angel really pop and call for your attention. Also, the untitled artwork that appears to be branches of a tree, or veins and capillaries extending out, is both intriguing and confusing. I feel like it were titled, maybe there would be more information there to understand it. The piece itself extends out, with some 3D definition coming at you as well, which makes it all the more unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your reasoning's for each image, I really like how you weren't generic and placed in your own emotions and feelings that came along with what you saw. I really liked how you mentioned the Untitled, and how you were curious to what it was suppose to be. I felt the same in a few of my pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the realism of Deliverance from the Visions of Faith series. The explanation you gave for choosing this piece is very in depth and I really appreciate you taking your time to thoroughly explain the personal connections you have to the pieces you chose.

    ReplyDelete

module #15: me myself and i

Chloe Carr 12/13/18          1. I selected the inspired pieces because I've always been a fan of Frida Khalo and the way she...