Monday, September 17, 2018

Mandala Art

Mandala Art
Chloe Carr

1. There are many elements that come into making a mandala. Some of the  elements included are color, lines, shape, and space. We see color through the symbolic color that the monks use when they’re creating the mandala. There are lines and shapes because the monks choose to make geometrical shapes and spiritual symbols for their final piece. Space is shown because there is always space behind the subject of the mandala.

2. There is harmony, emphasis, and variety in mandalas. There is harmony because the sand makes the elements similar but the different colors of the sand make the final piece a work of art. Emphasis is shown because the colors used in the mandala stand out against the background colors. Using different shapes and symbols is an example of variety.

3. I found the process/ritual of creating a mandala to be very interesting. I thought it was interesting that monks have to go through so many lessons and memorize so many readings before they actually go through the process of setting down the sand. Another thing I found interesting is how they don’t keep the mandala; they give out half the sand to people and then dump the rest in rivers as a gift.

4. I found that mandalas are also used for art therapy in many places. The article I read said that therapists found that clients who created mandala art use it to better describe and explain how they are feeling, how they felt in the past, or how they want to feel in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

module #15: me myself and i

Chloe Carr 12/13/18          1. I selected the inspired pieces because I've always been a fan of Frida Khalo and the way she...