Thursday, November 15, 2018

module 11: cubed expression

Chloe Carr
11/18

Module #11: Cubed Expression


1. I decided to watch The Impact of Cubism and Expressionism because I find both painting styles to be very interesting. I've always been fascinated with these styles and I wanted to know more about their history and the most influential Cubist painters and Expressionists.

2. There were many key concepts for the video The Impact on Cubism. I especially found it interesting that the topic of Cubist paintings are not seen at first sight most times because they are shown in different angles. For example, if the subject of a cubist painting is a person the artist might paint the person by taking angles of the person's face. They might paint the profile of the person and then paint the person's body right next to the face instead of below it. The person would not look anatomically correct, the painter would paint the parts they think is most important to them.
In the video Expressionism I learned that the reason for expressionist paintings is to draw emotion. Painters during this time seeked to express themselves by painting what they feel regardless of whether or not they painting is realistic. More so than not the paintings during this time were not realistic at all, and the colors used are not realistic ones; they can be intensely dark/gloomy or intensely bright.

3. The chapters in the text relate to the videos because the text describes the time of Expressionism as a time of, "intense, arbitrary colors." The text stressed the fact that wavering contours were also very famous for Expressionism. Expressionists valued colors, lines, form, and themes to express themselves. The video The Impact on Cubism relates to the text because Chapter 21 also talked about how abstract Cubism is. The bood defined Cubism as abstract art that shows the world, but fragmented and from multiple points of view. It's not supposed to be realistic, like how the video said, but it is supposed to represent a specific subject.

4. I really enjoyed watching the videos for this Module. I learned a lot more about Cubism and Expressionism than I learned in the past. I learned more about Picasso and, Kadinsky, and more artists. I like the chapter but I think the videos put more things in perspective and showed more about both art movements/styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

module #15: me myself and i

Chloe Carr 12/13/18          1. I selected the inspired pieces because I've always been a fan of Frida Khalo and the way she...